Find an accommodation

Tenancy agreements

Tenancy agreements could be signed for short or long stays and must be written to be valid.  Those that last more than 30 days must be also registered to Agenzia delle Entrate (Italian inland revenue). 

The most common tenancy agreements are:

Temporary rent contracts:

  • Contratto transitorio per studenti: students only. It lasts from 6 months to 3 years
  • Contratto transitorio: for all, lasts from 1 up to 18 months, tenant must specify in the contract the reason for the temporary stay

Long-term rent contracts:

  • 3+2 year contract: for all, lasts 3 years and can be automatically renewed for other 2 years
  • 4+4 year contract: for all, lasts 4 years and can be automatically renewed for other 4 years

: you may be asked to pay from 1 up to 3 months’ rent. It is given back to you at the end of the contract if you have not damaged the house and if you respected the contract rules. Be aware that landlord is allowed to keep the entire deposit or a part of it to cover any damages, redecoration costs, etc. 
Pay preferebly by bank transfer and ask always a receipt when paying cash. 

Registration and costs of the contract:  To sign a tenancy agreement you  need your ID or passport, Italian tax identification number (codice fiscale) and, if you are a non EU citizen, the permit of stay or the receipt of the application provided by the post office. When signing the contract you will be asked to pay the first month rent and the deposit.

Contract has to be signed between the parties and, when it exceeds 30 days, it must be registered at Agenzia delle Entrate . Landlord is in charge of the registration, which has to be made within 30 days since you've signed it.

Depending on the type of contract tenants have to pay the stamps required, half of the registration cost and, eventually, the draft of the contract. Remember to ask a copy of the registered contract and a copy of Agenzia delle Entrate' receipt. 

Notice period: please check the notice period reported in the contract. A written non-renewal notice (disdetta) is due to the owner if you want to leave earlier.  The notice should be sent by registered mail with a return receipt (raccomandata con ricevuta di ritorno) and you may have to pay a tax of around €67 to Agenzia delle Entrate.  

Things to Know

Rent contracts vs residence
Pay attention that there are rent contracts that envisage non resident- tenants.

Before signing any contract always inform landlord if you are going to move your residence and if you want your family to join you (family reunification procedure)!

Registering your residence in Italy is required for several formalities, click here to know more.