Entry & Stay

Residence permit conversion

Conversione permesso di soggiorno

When the new conditions are met, study residence permits can be converted into family, research, subordinate or self-employed work, seeking job residence permit; while research residence permits can be converted into family or seeking job permit.

In Trieste province research permits can be also converted in work permits. If you don't live in Trieste province you have to check this possibility with the local authorities of the province where you live in.


When, how and where to apply? 
Conversion should be made starting from 60 days before the expiry date of the current residence permit.
The application is done through the request kit to be sent by post.
When at the Post office please take first the number at the ticket system.

Things to know

Residence permit  total amount:
€16 for the revenue stamp
€30.46 for the electronic permit
€30.00 for the postal fee 
And an administrative contribution fee of:

- €40 for request of permit from 3 months up to one year
- €50 for request of permit from one year up to two years 
- €100 for request of permit for more than 2 years and for managers 

The total cost of the electronic permit (€30.46) and the administrative contribution fee have to be paid by postal giro slip (the one provided in the kit).